Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Barrister turns Barista


Last Friday evening it was time for eight eager participants and myself to take a Barista Course at Kessel`s Espresso Studio in Bonn. It was a wonderful evening filled with plenty of technical information about the components of coffee machines, different coffee mills and various coffees/coffee blends and practical information about how to program the right degree of fineness for the coffee, how to prepare the perfect cup of espresso and how to get the milk properly frothed in order to be able to get a "heart design" on top of a freshly prepared cup of cappuccino.

The motto of the evening was four-fold: "the person preparing the coffee - the coffee blend - the coffee mill - the coffee machine" ("die vier M´s: der Mensch - die Mischung - die Mühle - die Maschine").

By the end of the evening we had learned a lot about proper coffee preparation and even managed to "design" a decent heart on top of our cups of cappuccino.

A big thanks to our teachers Bianca und Frank Kessel and to barista Jan for a very memorable and fun-filled evening!

And that is how the Barrister (that would be yours truly) turned into a Barista, at least for one evening!





As the icing on the cake, each participant received a Barista Certificate at the end of the evening - and here is mine:




For more information on Kessel`s Espresso Studio Bonn or the Barista Courses, please refer to my blog post dated May 19, 2012 or contact Bianca or Frank Kessel directly at kessels-espresso-studio@t-online.de.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Andrea, this is so cool. I remember your Blog of May 19th. The part I would like best at the class is the "heart" making. But, guess you might have to have a machine or can you just make it with frothy milk and a slight-of-hand? I loved the title of this Post ---- didn't know you were a Barrister. I know that a lawyer and a barrister are two different animals. I have two kids of the lawyer-type in my family. Again, loved this Blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary - and you are absolutely right, you do need one of these wonderful coffee machines to get really creative with your cappuccino! I was bragging all weekend about my newly acquired design skills and I believe we/I had quite a few cappuccinos...but it was certainly a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like so much fun to do with a bunch of friends…how wonderful!


    Andrea, I've nominated you for a brand new award! Please stop by my blog to "pick it up”. I really enjoy reading your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy for nominating me for the "Food Stories Award" - I am already working on my blog post and the follow-up nominations and I am trying to put the whole package together as soon as possible.

      Thanks again- and yes it was a lot of fun taking that Barista Class on Friday!

      Delete
  3. How fun! While I don't care for espresso, I do have an occasional cappuccino, especially if I can get a pretty heart in it like those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I do love a good cup of tea too - but hot berverage of choice usually is cappuccino or espresso macchiato - the heart is quite a nice touch, I agree.

      Delete